The American Psychiatric Association - with our growing membership of 36,000 worldwide psychiatrists - is the voice of psychiatry for your patients and our profession. We offer advocacy, information, support, and educational opportunities to help you serve your patients and enhance your career. APA brings practice, education, and research together under one big tent - a tent that encompasses psychiatrists at all levels of practice, from resident-fellow members through senior-level psychiatrists.
In the past, APA members have access to many benefits available to psychiatrists, including:
Advocacy – APA is making a difference for our profession and patients through strong, consistent advocacy at the local and national level, educating policy makers, purchasers, the media and the public about mental health.
The Latest Research and Clinical Studies – Membership includes The American Journal of Psychiatry, the nation’s leading publication for psychiatrists, and Psychiatric News, APA’s bi-monthly newspaper that offers the latest developments on psychiatry related topics, such as health care, service delivery, Medicare/Medicaid and international news. Receive daily APA "Headlines," a summary of mental health related news appearing in the mainstream press.
Resources for You and Your Practice – Through the APA Practice Management Helpline, members have access to practical assistance on day-to-day issues that arise in managing a practice, such as reimbursement, relationships with managed care companies, coding, documentation, Medicare, Medicaid, establishing a private practice, closing a practice, mental health/addiction parity, and more. Members are also eligible to participate in the APA-endorsed members-only professional liability insurance program administered by American Professional Agency, Inc.
Networking and Professional Development – Access numerous networking opportunities through the District Branches and State Associations, specialty list-servs, and meetings, and through our social media networks within Facebook, LinkedIn (members only) and Twitter. Opportunities for professional growth include CME programs, fellowships, scholarships, travel awards, research funding and more.
Lifelong Learning and Continuing Medical Education (CME) – APA Members save on registration at both the Annual Meeting and the Institute on Psychiatric Services, APA’s educational conference on public and community psychiatry. Members also have access to online CME, including practice guideline courses which are offered at a 50% discount and FREE Performance in Practice (PIP) Physician Practice Assessment Tools to fulfill MOC Part 4 requirements.
Receive Discounts on Quality Services for you and your practice with these additional benefits:
• Exclusive savings on auto and home insurance through Liberty Mutual.
• Credit card programs and other financial services through Bank of America.
• Financial and retirement planning with Merrill Lynch.
• Group discounts on credit card processing from TransFirst.
• Receive drug and patient safety alerts securely online through Health Care Notification Network
• Discounted Magazine Subscriptions.
• Clinical reference applications at the point of care through Epocrates.
• Online career search and recruitment through APA JobCentral.
• Money-saving legal consultation from APA’s Legal Information & Consultation Plan (separate fee.)
Because the Orange County Psychiatric Society is a district branch of the American Psychiatric Association, when you are a member, you will also enjoy the benefits of OCPS. These include, but are not limited to:
- Invitations to special events hosted by the Orange County Psychiatric Society
- The option to be included on the OCPS website’s Physician Directory, available to the public
- Free quarterly issues of the OCPS Newsletter
- Networking through the OCPS council, social events, newsletter, membership directory, and other opportunities
Legal Information and Consultation Plan Available to APA Members
The American Psychiatric Association Legal Information and Consultation Plan is available exclusively to psychiatrists who are APA members. For a separate fee, members can obtain practice related legal consultation on managed care contracts, subpoenas, HITECH amendments to HIPAA, malpractice, risk management and third-party reimbursement.